Monday, October 24, 2011

Give a Hoot!

I made the cupcakes for my godson's first birthday yesterday. His birthday was animal themed and I saw these owl cupcakes online and couldn't resist.

What you'll need:
Cake of Your Choice (we did funfetti)
Chocolate Frosting
Oreos (Double Stuffed come apart more easily)
Reese's Pieces

I didn't end up making all of the cupcakes owl cupcakes for a couple reasons. One was because I didn't have enough Oreos - we had thought we'd be able to cut through the double stuff to create two eyes with one Oreo but it didn't work out. So we didn't have enough Oreos. I also found out about an hour before the party that I needed to make more cupcakes so I was busy frosting and decorating and the owls, while easy, take more time than just frosting the cupcakes. We ended up with chocolate and funfetti cupcakes with a mix of chocolate frosted and funfetti frosted of each type of cake. It was also nice because the other side of the Oreo that I didn't use for the eyes made for cute cupcake toppers. All in all the cupcakes were a hit and I will definitely be making these again in the future.

No comments: