Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Rollie's Origin Story

Rollie Fingers - First day home (2010)
I got my pup Rollie while I was still in college. Scott and I were dating at the time and one of Scott's favorite baseball players is Rollie Fingers. I though Rollie was a cute and unique name and I figured if/when I got a dog that would be his name. 

Cruising Craigslist one night I came across a picture of a cute little dog outside a glass slider in the snow. I felt bad for the pup and thought "What's the risk in just meeting him?" I always knew that when I did get a dog, I would not purchase a dog from a breeder, so a rescue off craigslist fit the bill. Rollie had spent the first few months in a home with an old woman under his former name, Chewy. When Grandma had to move into an assisted living home her grandson, who already had a doberman and a pit bull, took in the little pomeranian/chihuahua mix.

The ad said that he we was worried that 'Chewy', would get rolled by the big dogs (for reference Rollie was around 8-9lbs when I got him and is 12lbs now). When I walked into the backyard to meet Rollie he ran straight to me. It was instant love and I knew this was my dog. The guy said he had another couple coming to see him and I told him "No, I'll be taking Rollie home tomorrow". When I picked up Rollie the next day I asked the guy if he wanted update emails or anything, his response? "Uh, I guess". I never texted him again, nor did he text me.

Rollie last fall (2012) at our engagement shoot
I had to go buy EVERYTHING for him. This dog literally didn't even come with a collar, let alone vaccine records. It took two baths (one month apart) before he was completely clean and his nails were overgrown from not being groomed. Rollie was 8 months old when he came home with me and had some scarring and scabs on his nose and ear that suggested he had, indeed, been rolled by one of the larger dogs. He did not like going on walks--he would whine and stand up for me to pick him up while pawing at my leg. I knew emotionally and cosmetically he was going to be quite a bit of work. And I don't regret it for a moment.  He is mine and I am his.

No comments: